East Lyme Youth Basketball Coaches Code of Conduct
All coaches pledge to be responsible for your words and actions while attending or participating in East Lyme Youth Basketball (ELYB) activities by conforming behavior to this Code of Conduct. Coach conduct is a reflection upon our program and our community.
• I understand that it is a privilege to participate in East Lyme Youth Basketball, and with this privilege I must be responsible for my actions.
• I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and club representatives at all times.
• I will demand and honor that all players, coaches, officials, volunteers and spectators are treated with respect regardless of race, gender, creed or ability.
• I will never ridicule or berate others for a mistake or losing.
• I will respect the officials and their authority.
• I will respect the ELYB Executive Board member’s decisions and I will listen to and follow their direction.
• I will not engage in the use of profanity, obscene language or improper actions.
• I will treat my opponent with respect in the same manner I would want to be treated.
• I will learn and respect the rules of the game.
• I will refrain from the use of alcohol and tobacco products at all ELYB activities.
• I have read and understand the information included in the Concussion Awareness fact sheet(s) from the https://www.cdc.gov/headsup website.
I have read and understand the above Code of Conduct, and agree to abide by its guidelines at all ELYB activities. I also acknowledge that failure to follow these guidelines will result in action that may include suspension or termination from coaching now and in the future, as well as removal from any and all ELYB activities now or in the future.
EAST LYME YOUTH BASKETBALL PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT
East Lyme Youth Basketball (ELYB) provides residents of East Lyme and Salem in grades K-12 with the opportunity to grow physically, socially, and emotionally while learning about the game of basketball and improving the skills specific to the sport.
As partners in this endeavor, ELYB looks to the leagues’ parents/guardians to be models of good sportsmanship, leading by example as they show respect and self-control.
With this in mind, parents will:
Remember that the game is for, and about, the youth players, not the adults.
Be a positive role model and encourage good sportsmanship.
Refrain from demeaning and discouraging any official, coach, player or parent.
Treat, and ensure that their children treat, all involved parties, regardless of race, creed, color, origin, sex, sexual orientation or ability, with the utmost respect.
Remain composed and not initiate any verbal or physical fight, abuse, or negative comments with any official, coach, parent, player or other attendee.
Promote the emotional and physical well-being of all of the competitors.
NOT question, discuss, or confront any officials or coaches during game play, arranging a time privately to meet about any issues or concerns.
If parents fail to adhere to this code of conduct, they will:
Receive a verbal warning for their first offense.
Be asked to leave the event upon their second offense.
Be suspended for a game, a season, multiple seasons, or permanently from ELYB events, as decided upon by the East Lyme Youth Basketball Board of Directors.
At ELYB’s sole discretion, this code of conduct may be updated and modified, with the most up-to-date version being available on the league’s website.